Monday, August 27, 2007

Archive

(From June 15, 2007)
I woke up this morning with a Nyquil hangover. Going to bed last night here in Vanleer Tennessee while leading worship for a student camp, I found my sinuses a bit congested and knowing nothing better to do while being miserable with agitated nasal passages, I resorted to taking the green liquid that knocks you out cold for twelve hours or more. When I awoke, it took me a moment or so to orientate myself within the spinning room, fight back the groggy cobwebs in my mind and slip into a realm of consciousness, and even then, it took nearly a minute or two for the occasion to hit me. And all of a sudden, in the musty confines of a staff housing complex, my mind connected the dots and I realized, “Jason, you’re TWENTY FIVE years old today!” Now I guess most people would shrug it off as just another birthday, but for some reason, this one stands out to me. It’s more than just 25… it's 5 years from 30 and half way to 50! I can remember having friends who were 25 and thinking to myself how good it felt to not be that old, and then I can think back to aunts and uncles turning 30 and it completely weirds me out to think in five short years, I’ll be that age. However, as I’ve walked through the activities of today, I’ve thought about all that’s happened in the past 365 days and I must say, the “Year Of 24" was a good one.


Concerning music, I have stayed busier than ever. I’m writing more than I’ve ever written, getting more publishing and artist attention than I’ve ever gotten, and performing on stages I never thought I’d sing from. I have the opportunity to play on a regular basis with some of Nashville’s finest musicians, and I have the honor to call them all friends. Just last week, I met up with three of the guys from the band for pizza at a little parlor in Franklin Tennessee and as we sat around the table talking and laughing for three hours, it hit me that just four years ago, I moved to Nashville knowing no one and would have never imagined how quickly I would find myself surrounded by a community of people I treasure so much. Who'd have known a Florida boy could find his place in Tennessee?


The year of 24 also brought many surprises in the world of family. Last November, I became an uncle with the birth of Lily Cox, my brother and his wife’s first little girl. She is absolutely beautiful and I must use this occasion to make it known, I never thought something so precious and adorable could come from my big brother who growing up was the bane of my existence. To this day, my body bears the marks of his brutal ways and I still cringe at the thought of concrete stairs and slip-n-slides. I can always thank him for my first introduction to stitches. Yet, I digress.


Thinking I was designated to play the role of younger brother my entire life, I was completely surprised when several months ago, my parents informed my brother and I that they were adopting a little girl. I can’t tell you how excited I was. Her name is Brittany and my Mom met her through a mentoring program. After my Dad inquired about her, they both decided they’d pursue the adoption and everything fell perfectly into place. Brittany is a beautiful and unbelievably intelligent eleven year old girl. When I went down this past April to meet her for the first time, I was stunned at how open and unguarded she was.
She’s so funny and loving and I can’t wait to play the part of the older brother. Maybe I’ll give her some stitches of her own, or be sitting on the front porch wielding a shot gun when she goes on her first date.




Being 24 brought many life changing moments, but probably the biggest of all was asking Lena Hood to be my wife. I remember living in Jacksonville and thinking, “I bet Mrs. Cox is up there at Belmont University right now just waiting for me to come find her.” and sure enough she was! Here I am, four months from wedding bells and I’m so excited to spend the rest of my life with this girl, born in Alabama, raised in Georgia, now Tennessean. Who’d thought, I’d marry a girl born in Alabama??? I still ponder that one. I always took a liking to brunettes growing up, and God showed me favor when he brought the most gorgeous brunette girl I’ve ever laid eyes on into my life.


Lena is an amazing girl. She’s so loving, kind, and warmhearted, and I’m humbled to think that out of everyone in the world, she chose to spend the rest of her life with me. I’m beyond grateful! There’s no one else I’d rather have standing beside me in life than her. In the words of my good friend Cody Deese, Lena is “the wind beneath my wings.” or did he steal that from Whitney Houston?


So... 24. Uncle, big brother, and soon to be husband. Can’t wait to see what happens with 25. Maybe I’ll sky dive, write a book, take up the art of finger painting, or make a CD using nothing but a jaw harp and kazoo. No matter what, I’m sure God will leave me scratching my head when it’s all said and done. He’s been unbelievably good to me and I can’t thank him enough for the blessings. Every day I’m amazed at his faithfulness and unfailing love.


Hope you’re all having a great June 15th!
Much Love,
Jason

No comments: